Calais Fireworks Death
(Calais) – A 22-year old Calais man is dead after he lit a fireworks launching mortar tube on top of his head. It happened Saturday night in a backyard according to State Public Safety Department Spokesman Steve McCausland. The State Fire Marshal’s office identified the victim as Devon Staples. Investigators say he died instantly when he put the mortar tube on top of his head and lit it. Staples and friends had been drinking.
(Bar Harbor) – A Coast Guard ship helped rescue a 32-year old man who fell from Otter Cliffs in Acadia National Park. Park Rangers and MDI Search and Rescue reached the man who fell about 60-feet Friday to the granite base at the water line. The Coast Guard carried him to the pier in Bar Harbor where he was airlifted with non-life threatening leg injuries to Eastern Maine Medical Center. The Park service did not release the man’s name. Rescuers responded to two other incidents the same day.
(Calais) – Two Calais businesses suffered damage when a fire started in a hardware store yesterday. WQDY Radio reports the blaze started in a small engine area at Johnson’s True Value Hardware and sent smoke through that store and Bell’s IGA. A police officer evacuated both buildings while firefighters from five communities including two from Canada rushed to the scene. Fire chief Robert Posick said they were able to knock down the flames where they started in the hardware store but they had to pull down walls and ceilings to get the fire completely out. One firefighter went to the hospital as a precaution after battling the blaze inside.
Homeless veterans affected by new SNAP rules
(Augusta) Maine Veteran advocates say recent state work requirements make it tougher for veterans to get or keep their food assistance. Preble Street Veterans Services Supervisor Maureen Nagy says more than 14 thousand Maine veterans rely on federal food benefits. Nagy says the new work requirements are tough on veterans coping with mental health issues and homelessness. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, one in ten Maine veterans relied on SNAP to avoid going hungry for at least part of the year between 2011 and 2013.
Don’t leave child in the car
(Ellsworth) Leaving a sleeping child in a car seat while you run in to the store quickly might seem OK, but police say the safest option is to bring them with you. Ellsworth Police Chief Chris Coleman tells Star 97.7, not only is it risky to leave a child in a hot car, but their security could be at risk too. Coleman says it’s up to the parent to decide at what age it’s safe to leave their child in the car or at home alone, but infants and toddlers are too young to be on their own.